Sunday, February 19, 2006

Monday morning musing

The word on the Net is that blogs are past their peak.

GOOD!

All that means is that blogs are no longer the trendy novelty of the week. And I can definitely, definitely live with that. After all, I see myself as someone who never does anything strictly for the hype. I played Atari in 1991. I was into eighties music in the early 1990s, and have the schoolyard scars to prove it. Hell, I didn't even have a full-fledged home computer until 2000, or a cell phone until late 2004! I may never own an iPod. It's pretty safe to assume that once I have something, everyone has it.

And I like it that way. Why? Because anyone can follow the crowd. It does not take a lot of brains to latch onto the Next Big Thing and then drop it as soon as it loses its luster. I don't see how Google's server isn't yet dead of bowel blockage from all the blogs that contain one lonely entry:

Let's get this party started!

Well, this seems as good a time as any to start this up. I've never blogged before, but it seems pretty cool. People have always told me I have a knack for offering unique insight, and this seems like the perfect medium for expressing what I've held within for so long. I hope to make this blog into a conduit of major information, debate and fun! Watch out for regular updates, and join the party! Talk to you again soon.

Posted by THE BILLY BLOG REPORT on July 5, 2003 (0) comments

That's not me, because I didn't give a rat's ass about blogging as a trend. I want to be the last person still blogging. It takes courage--and persistence--to be that uncool.

Even so, I don't think blogging is really on the verge of extinction. The biggest flaw in this reasoning is that most people don't blog for profit in the first place. I could be wrong about this; maybe megroxors1987 of "My Random Blog Ramblings" fame really did buy that new Mustang with her own money instead of her trust fund. But on my end, I've never earned a dime from blogging; my capital from this blog have been really good friends, strong debate and a renewed sense of purpose. As long as that can be found online, blogging isn't going to go away. Indeed, as every last outlet of expression in this country becomes fee-based and over-commercialized, online expression is one of the few pure things we have left.

Another concern is that the bloggers who bring the most to the medium will be co-opted by the mainstream media. Yeah, as if any aspiring comic at Second City or The Groundlings is thinking, "Damn, I hope Saturday Night Live doesn't offer me a job!" Compromising your ideals is one thing; being hired for your talent is another. Co-opt me, please!

So if any of you are concerned about blogs being "over," then do what you can to prevent that downward trend.

Keep on blogging.

10 comments:

ashley said...

...and I'll be the last person commenting on your blog.

Cajun Tiger said...

Another benefit of blogs that I think will keep them around for awhile is for people to keep up with you when you are away from home. My family follows my adventures in DC and now in Iraq via my blog. It is an easy way to allow lots of peeps to check in on you at their convenience.

yournamehere said...

I think you'll have less of the self-indulgent blogs (such as my own, although I'm far too self-indulgent to quit any time soon) and more people with something to say.

Mikel said...

I like it because it is yet another way to have more people pay absolutely no attention to the meaningless tripe that I spew.

Nick said...

I didn't get a cell phone until Summer '03 when I started my internship. Being a landman, cell phones are a necessity. You live in hotels and work in courthouses, hotel rooms, and your vehicle. I've thought of getting an i-pod to be able to download music and hook it up to my car sterio, but as usually, I'm too cheap to buy one.

I started blogging as a way to countinue my political writing career post-college. Sometimes though, I wonder if the stuff I publish on my site will come back to bite me in the ass when I decide to start my efforts of serving political office.

Jester said...

Ian, this post makes your sense of elitism look like it's inflating far beyond its normal size. Maybe a bit of self-flaggelation would be in order here to get things under control?

Flamingo Jones said...

Why would he need to worry about self-"flaggelation" when you're always around ready to flagellate for him?

Jester said...

A famous man once mentioned that if you flog a man once, you punish him for a day. But if you teach him to flog himself then you've punished him for a lifetime : )

Flamingo Jones said...

If I knew who you were, I'd say you were funny.

jester said...

I don't need to be a member of your elite blogging society to count as being funny, viable, and intelligent. I already have those things thanks to many years of observation, education, experience, and independence. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!