Sunday, January 08, 2006

Monday Morning Complaint

I'm not going to name names, and it doesn't really concern this blog anyway. But I will say this:

If you have a post you want someone to read, posting the entire thing as a random comment on someone else's blog is a very irritating way to do it. If you must do so, then at least target your audience; that gives it some semblance of sincerity. I don't watch SNL's "Weekend Update" to catch up on Iraqi death tolls; why, then, would I want to read about a serious national issue on a silly comedy thread? What might have been an interesting read in its proper context is now just a disturbance. If it's that important, than e-mail it, or at least engage your audience in honest blog conversation. I, for one, am far more likely to read (and link) someone's blog if I feel like I'm getting to know them through genuine mutual discussion and interest. Seeing a form letter reading, "I approached you," won't compel me to visit you any more than it will compel me to give some faux-royalty spammer my bank-account number.

Smart promoters know their audience. But even a stupid audience can spot a bad promotion.

5 comments:

Neil Shakespeare said...

I had some guy post a couple of longwinded sermons in my comments a while back. Wild, rambling pieces. Annoying as the Dickens. Just proselytizing really. Luckily, I have a delete button...

Nick said...

Dammit. I was just trying to pull some of your people over to the dark side. That's all.

Ian McGibboney said...

Nick, I don't think you actually did that. I mean, you did go off on investments on a thread about SUVs, but at least you weren't blasting one of your blog posts. It was a real conversation, at least.

Nick said...

Oh, I thought you were maybe referring to my telling you about The Daily Advertiser publishing my letter.

Ian McGibboney said...

Well, no, because you linked it.