Saturday, November 05, 2005

Can't spell "effort" without "F"


At least after audioblogger gets its shit back together...grrr...

I'm in one of those moods right now where everything seems too difficult to justify any effort on my part. Case in point, audioblogger screws me over yet again on a time-sensitive audio post. Thanks for nothing, you unreliably worthless technology! I am, by default, frustrated. I feel most days like I'm bringing my A game to C-level goals with a final grade of F. Everybody has days like that. Well, Bill Gates probably never does. It's been at least two decades since he thought to himself, "Man, if only I could afford to upgrade this computer." Hell, he's so rich that he could buy a solid-platinum hairbrush with bristles made of bald-eagle feathers. Theoretically, anyway, if he actually brushed his hair. But I digress.

After coming off a really anemic week here at Not Right, I was left wondering where everyone went. Flamingo Jones theorized that it's because everyone's just so sick of politics and depressing news. I questioned her wisdom, because I don't feel like I've been that relevant lately. But I think she does have a point; with all of the feces that have hit the fan lately regarding Scooter Libby, Karl Rove, Bush's approval rating somewhere in the great depression of the 30s, as well as the ongoing fallout from the hurricanes and Scalito galore, there isn't a whole lot of role-modeling going on. Not that I'm the greatest fan of role models in general (the few I have are mostly fictitious), but it has to be disheartening to see that our elected and appointed officials are really this bad. It's like discovering, for the first time, the fallibility of your parents. It's really an upsetting thing, even if we did know it to at least some degree before.

And, contrary to what many on the right would have us believe, this ever-strengthening chain of bad news is not cause for celebration for us. We are not happy that our leaders are corrupt crooks, or that they out CIA agents. It does not give us glee to anticipate the swift justice that we hope is served for every indictment. At least not at Scooter Libby's level anyway. Rove, Bush or Cheney in trouble might merit at least a house party. We'll cross that bridge when we burn it.

So I can definitely understand why people would feel worn-out and frustrated about the state of things in general. I know I am. We'll just have to keep plugging away, I suppose. What else can we do?

On an unrelated note, on this day in 1987, I ate my last-ever corn dog. I went to Western Sizzlin that night and ate one, came home, woke up in the middle of the night and threw it up right on my mom, whose birthday was the next morning. I spent the entire next day heaving anything that came near my digestive system. I missed school that day and thus never learned how to spell "Mississippi," which is the whole reason this was supposed to be an audiopost in the first place. Later!

@#$% Blogger and its "upgrade." It sure as hell needs it.

8 comments:

Nick said...

I've been home for the past week, but at my fiance's in Iota, which warrents no internet access. But now I'm back in my hotel in Mississippi which will give me plenty of time to read your propaganda. However Icon, realize one thing, even if Cheney, Rove, Delay, et al is guilty, they won't be brought down. Why? Because there are just as many corrupt and criminal acts committed by the big national Democrats in that Washington circle, and they don't want to go down with any guilty Republicans. This is all smoke screen by the Dems. to keep the far leftists like yourself somewhat content, just like the Repubs. with Clinton. Had they not tried to impeach Clinton, Limbaugh and co. would have been all over the Republican camp with their criticisms.

Alisha said...

Just wanted to let you know I read your post...I've been slacking I have to admit...I think no one's commenting b.c everyone is sick...I swear...every person I talk to thinks they are dying. It's insane!!

The Manning Report said...

i had pink eye and the flu like 2 weeks ago and thats not fun.

im suprised audioblogger is so unreliable, i thought they were run by google, and google has always been a pretty good company

Ian McGibboney said...

Manning, audioblogger has always given me problems. For the longest time I could not post at all, and it took a long time for me to figure out the problem: a glitch in the form messed up my URL, so the post had nowhere to go. After that, it worked fine. But since yesterday, I have not been able to get through. The results of dialing the number keep chenging (now it no longer hangs up on me...just silence on the other side). I thought it was Blogger's upgrade but apparently it's unrelated. Oh well. It just likes to ruin things for me.

Ian McGibboney said...

Alisha: good theory. And all is forgiven :)

Nick: I would sacrifice a few Democrats to see this trio go down. But I don't think it's equal by any means.

Mikel said...

Sorry about the absence, PC problems, I agree with Nick, the Dems would have to offer up some warm bodies to the Media Gods to put forth a legitimate attack on the Top Three Repubs. Too soon, look for it in 2007. The bloodfest for the 2008 presidential race is going to be massive on all fronts. If blood and bullshit could power our vehicles we could probably pay too much for it at the pumps too. Ian, check your Gmail.

Michael said...

I'm still reading, Ian. It's just that I'm in so deep with thesis revisions and my reading seminar project that I'm not commenting much. Buck up, buddy. There's a lot more fertilizer heading for an awful lot of ventilators. By the midterm elections next year, the Bushoviki are going to be looking at a 39% approval rating and wishing they could get within shouting distance of numbers that good.

Flamingo Jones said...

See? now you have comments.