Monday, August 29, 2005

Knock on wood

In response to all of the e-mail and phone calls I'm getting, I want everybody to know that everything here in Lafayette is fine. We had some rain earlier, and it continues to be windy and dreary as hell, but the effects of Hurricane Katrina here barely match any typical rainstorm. We are the lucky ones in Louisiana at the moment; when even the Weather Channel people are largely sticking to reporting from Mobile, Alabama and Gulfport, Mississippi, you know things are bad in the Big Breezy.

Reports are that the Superdome has suffered minimal structural damage and that its working power source is capable only of basic lighting. That can't be good. But given the impoverished conditions in which many of these people live, the Dome is probably not much worse than home. I can see it now: Saints owner Tom Benson, sitting in Texas somewhere, his throat cracking from gloating, "See? TOLD YOU I need all that tax money to build a new stadium!! Bend over, Blanco!" But I digress.

I also caught firsthand storm footage of the French Quarter on the Weather Channel, shot through a windshield. You couldn't pay me enough to drive there right now! Where do they get those people? And wipers that strong? I could use a set.

I'll be back later. Keep in touch.

5 comments:

Phillip said...

you know what ian, we should have taken advantage and solicited contributions from people. i need a new hurricane dvd player.

Ian McGibboney said...

We should do that anyway. See, that's our problem as lefties: we aren't attuned to opportunities of captialistic exploitation. We aren't rip-off artists, in other words.

On the other hand, if I posted pictures of my wardrobe and my vehicle, contributions might flow in. Wouldn't be related to the hurricane, but still...

Nick said...

So guys, how long is it going to take before yall start blaming Bush and Co. for this storm? How about the evil Halliburton?

Ian McGibboney said...

Well, aside from the coastal-restoration battle between Blanco and Bush, I don't think there's any political angle here.

The Manning Report said...

whats going to happend with tulane
i bet they dont start school for 2 weeks
i bet they have to go into their christmas break