Thursday, June 23, 2005

Thanks a lot, Blogger!!

Once again, what should be here has been irrevocably lost. I had just spent hours writing what I thought was a really excellent and smart post, and made damn sure to back it up in light of the last few times this happened.

Alas, when I hit "publish," it said the post could no longer be found. And with that went my backup cut copy. Instead, all I could pull up was the draft that I had started with hours before. It was all I could do not to punch a hole in my wall. Seriously. What is the point of writing if you can't rely on the technology not to erase the entire goddamn thing in 1/32,000,000th the time it took you to write it?

As it was, I had accidentally posted the rough draft last night, which looked weird and screwed up my template. But I was not able to see this for some reason, despite numerous refreshes. The post is apparently jinxed. God hates me.

So please be patient. The post will be rewritten within an inch of its life. It's worth it, I think. But I stress that one should never rely on Blogger's text box with anything even remotely valuable. That "recover post" function is a cruel false ray of hope. Until Blogger makes it worth a damn (perhaps with an auto-save function), then they shouldn't have it in the first place.

There, I feel better. Not really.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Can I just say, at this point, that I really like TypePad? But given your present unemployed status, that's probably not going to be an option for you.

However, let me recommend you adopt a strategery I used to use when I was still on Blogger. Compose in the notepad (or a word processor, if you're so inclined). When it's ready to go, copy it from there, and paste it into the Blogger interface. That way, if Blogger loses it, you still have it available--and hopefully still on the clipboard, so another "paste" function should be all you need.