Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Tie a ribbon on...really tightly

Last night I had one of those incidents occur that make you really wish you'd replaced the film in your camera.

Walking to my truck from the university library, I glanced over at the car next to mine. It had one of those "Support the Troops" magnetic ribbons that are increasingly becoming currency in Louisiana. Nothing bizarre there. But then I noticed that this particular ribbon had some kind of writing on the top. At first glimpse, it looked like a name and rank, perhaps that of a loved one serving in Iraq. Nothing bizarre about that either. But then I got close enough to read the inscription:*

B M Specialty Fabricators
100 Republican Dr.
Lafayette, LA 70508

That's right, friends; advertising on yellow ribbons! And more likely than not, by an oil-related company. Next thing you know, advertisers will be exploiting the American flag!

Wait a minute...never mind.

(*-Not the actual name and address, but close. You think I want to give them free publicity? Besides, I can't remember what it was.)

4 comments:

Phillip said...

i find it offensive and sickening that people these days affix a little magnetic ribbon to their bumper and call themselves "patriotic" and "supporting the troops". why don't you throw your fucking ribbon away and start writing letters to your congressmen asking why our guys and girls are over there at all?

(not you specifically ian)

Ian McGibboney said...

It's okay, phizz...I don't even have a magnet. Symbols really aren't my thing.

Nick said...

You may find it offensive. Though mine fell off the other day on the highway and I have yet to replace them, I enjoy seeing them on people's cars. I have 2 buddies who just got back and one other still there, and I like seeing that people support them, regardless of how they feel about the war, as I know some Kerry voters who still display the ribbons.

And Icon, if I were you, I'd put the name of the guy/business on your site. I actually find it a discrace that someone would use that for advertisment. Get the word out enough on who it is, and you could make sure some people never acquire his services.

Ian McGibboney said...

That was actually my intention, Nick. But I couldn't remember the actual name, and a Google search of what I did recall netted nothing.

The ribbons themselves are benign as far as I'm concerned, but I detest the attitude of a lot of people who have them, some of whom seem to be advertising with them as much as the business that put its name on the ribbon.