Friday, April 15, 2005

Bondage with the Democratic whip

Happy Income Tax Day! Here at Not Right About Anything, we're celebrating in grand style. Here's a synopsis of today's events:

10 a.m.--We assembled in front of the new income-tax place on Johnston Street to wear Statue-of-Liberty costumes and hold up signs. Among our signs were: "Honk if you love the IRS," "Read my lips! More new taxes!", "Hooray for the 1040A!" and "Income tax RULES!" We got a LOT of honks this morning. Clearly, many drivers were feeling similarly rapturous about today, because several of them swerved off the road and nearly hit us. Never underestimate the awesome power of the passion of income taxes.

4 p.m.--Tax ticker-tape parade (put on by all of the liberals in Lafayette, so we'll make sure we have a broom to sweep the mess)

6 p.m.--Pin the Tail on the Donkey (Get it?!!)


7:30 p.m.--The "Read My Lips" game. This one always gets wild.

Speaking of Democrats, the other day I received this e-mail from someone supposedly representing Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nevada). The sender address was ari_rabin-havt@REID.SENATE.GOV and the recipient was a listserv on which I was placed. Here's what he wrote:

Hello-

As you probably know Harry Reid has creating a new communications "War Room" in the U.S. Capitol to provide Democrats a visible and vocal platform from which they will be heard. This Senate Democratic Communications Center has already begun to aggressively pioneer Internet outreach, including online news outlets and blogs.

As a progressive blogger please use me as a resource for information or just as your voice within the Senate leadership office. In addition I plan on being in touch with information from the Senate Democratic Leadership. If you do not wish to receive information from us let me know and I will remove you. I promise not to spam or merely send press releases. If you ever wish to speak on the phone my direct line is xxx-xxx-xxxx. I look forward to working with you.

Thank you,
Ari


I checked out Harry Reid's official page. He is the Democratic Whip for the U.S. Senate and has a very thorough site on a variety of issues (including a nifty Social Security calculator that shows how privatization will screw you sideways). His contact policy is a bit interesting:

I do not have a traditional e-mail address. Instead, I have set up an Internet webform through my website so my constituents may contact me electronically.

My question to you is this: Have any of you liberal bloggers also received this letter? And is there any quick way to verify it?

And once again, Happy Income-Tax Day! WOO-HOO!!

7 comments:

Mustang Bobby said...

I got the same e-mail, Ian. So...I wonder what that means. [Paranoia strikes deep.]

Flamingo Jones said...

Yup. I got the same damn email too.

Also, on my way to drop my Wisconsin tax form and sizeable check in the mail, I was tempted to grumble and complain, until I remembered that I was driving on a well-paved and maintained road, and passed by our community's quality public school buildings. Kinda takes the sting outta things.

Flamingo Jones said...

Ari looks legit. I found an interview with him on Kos about this whole thing. Plus, he was the Internet Communications Director for Kerry/Edwards 2004.

Michael said...

I must not be in the Kool Kidz Klub anymore, because I didn't get that e-mail. (Or if it did show up, it wound up in my junk mail folder and was deleted unread.)

Ian McGibboney said...

Michael, that's where mine was as well. I discovered it by chance. The Kool Kidz club is still open to you. In fact, you might want to check your junk folder now, because Ari sent another message today.

Ian McGibboney said...

Flamingo, is THAT what they do with taxes in Wisconsin? Somebody ought to try that here in Louisiana!

Joe said...

Unless he sent out an email promising to lengthen my penis, then ,no, I am not on his mailing list.