Thursday, April 07, 2005

Best argument for education reform yet

Dear Ian:

I write with good news -- you have passed the written portions of the MA comprehensive exams. That you have done so means that you can now move on to the oral defense of the exam. I have contacted the chair of your MA exam committee...to begin the process of setting it up, so you should hear from her shortly.

In the meantime, I will put a copy of your written response to Component 2 in your box in the next few days.

Congratulations.

Best,
xxxx-xxxxx


For those of you who didn't know, I have spent every second of the past two weeks fretting heavily over this. Failing this would have dashed my hopes of obtaining a master's degree next month. At least if I fail now, I'll know I did it at the very last possible moment. And no one can take that away from me ;)

Can you believe it? This is awesome!

13 comments:

Mustang Bobby said...

Congratulations!

Flamingo Jones said...

Excellent news! Congratulations, Ian.

Michael said...

Mazal tov, Ian!

Here's hoping I get a similar letter this summer. And now, gotta figure out how to blog and write the damn thesis at the same time.

Murph said...

WTFG, Ian! That's awesome.

The Goblin Slayer said...

Well Done, Ian!

oyster said...

Great job! And welcome back!

MagicalShrimp said...

Nice! Way to go!

TekellJ said...

Congratz Ian! I know how relieved you are as, I hope to take comps int the next 6-8 months myself.

sociable_solipsist said...

So glad to hear you're on your way out of of ULL. Now, how about heading out of state? ;)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on everything! Glad to hear you're back from Moscow, and that everything is working out.

Good luck, and oyster told me to say "hi".

donzelion said...

Congrats! Hope I get similar good news next month.

Ian McGibboney said...

My best wishes for everyone in a similar situation. Man, I had no idea I had so many grad students reading my blog. You all seem so normal!

Kevin Hayden said...

Congrats, Ian. Let me be the first to add that I don't share any of your doubts about the oral defense. You'll acquit yourself admirably based on all I've read at your blog and in comments.

Just remember to leave out bawdy limericks and Bush impressions and you'll do fine.