Saturday, March 05, 2005

That's some delicious bait I'm taking


Not available in stores! Posted by Hello

The National Society of Newspaper Columnists (NSNC) is holding its annual column contest. Yummy bait...yummy bait...BITE!

The contest is open to anyone who wrote a regular column in a daily, weekly or monthly newspaper (or its online equivalent) in the United States in 2004. If that describes any of you out there, I encourage you to enter (it's $20 per entry for members or $40 for non-members). The complete rules can be found at the NSNC site linked above. The deadline is March 15.

Each $20 entry allows for the submission of three columns. I just looked in my wallet, and its contents look to bring my submission total to...three columns. Further helping me narrow down my choices is the NSNC's expansive category listing:

A) General Interest
B) Humor

I decided I'm going to go out on a limb and go with "humor." My editor told me that I was funny once, but I think he was just trying to humor me (rimshot!). With that in mind, I've chosen to submit the following three columns for their consideration:

The entry form says that winners will be notified by May 15. If I win the big $300 prize (or the $200 or $100 runner-up purses), then you will know firsthand just how far the profession has fallen. Winning also greatly increases my odds that I will be able to afford the trip to the NSNC convention in Grapevine, Texas, to receive the honor. Whoo-hoo! Oh yeah, and there's also the chance for top columnist connections and whatnot. A great idea if you're into that sort of thing.

3 comments:

Flamingo Jones said...

Nice choices. "What I Learned from a Loser" is probably my favorite column of yours, since I started reading your blog.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

The Manning Report said...

there ought to be a law that stops you from using that cheesy of a photo on anything

Ian McGibboney said...

As I recall, Manning, your last picture was of you and some other dude sucking on gigantic cigars together. Let he who is without sin...