Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Rules for Not Right About Anything

Thank you for stopping by my humble blog, Not Right About Anything. I hope you will find your time here worthwhile and thought-provoking. You are encouraged to leave your two cents (or two dollars, if you like) in the comments section, and to browse past posts and/or check out the various links. I ask no more of you than to enjoy yourself and observe the following tenets of my philosophy:

--This is my blog. I make the rules. If you don't like the rules, then leave. This is the main rule: there are no rules.

--(updated 1/2/06) I post original material. That includes, but is not limited to, writing, graphics and voice recordings. I will occasionally publish a photograph or article that is not my own; you will know it when you see it, because I have yet to snap a picture of George W. Bush at his Crawford ranch. Also, outside text is cited with italics and colored based on how I feel about it. I offer outside text and images only to comment on them or to otherwise add something to the discussion. I vow that you will never see a post here that is entirely (or even mostly) someone else's work. Few things are as sad as reading an excellent column or list on someone's blog, only to see that it's about three generations removed from its author. That's unfair to the original writer and it makes for a boring blog. Also, I've had it happen to me, unattributed, and that's definitely NOT cool. So when you read something here, rest assured you probably haven't seen it anywhere else. Probably for good reason, too!

--(updated 7/7/05) Not Right is NOT a clique blog. Nothing irritates me quite like a blog where only a few people can comment or even read entries. Look, kids, if something is so special that only your close circle of friends should know about it, then why the hell are you posting it online? Seriously! Why not keep it to yourself? Or better yet, tell your friends some other way. You are not going to find anything on this blog alluding to my private life unless it somehow fits the theme of this site (or is a cheap laugh). If you feel hesitant to post, consider that (at minimum) 98 percent of the people commenting on Not Right are just like you, bloggers who are sitting at home in some corner of the world with the same hobby as you. I've met only five or six in person so far, but I'm always looking to talk to the world's finest. If you comment here, you're one of the club as far as I'm concerned. So don't be shy.

--(updated 1/14/06) While I am a blogger living in Louisiana, I am not, strictly speaking, a Louisiana blogger. I write on whatever captures my fancy on a particular date and time, regardless of scope. So if I don't keep a running tally on the levee scandal, day 125, don't get indignant; chances are, 50 other bloggers are chronicling that far better than I ever could. It doesn't mean I don't care about it, because I do; but like with anything else, I'll blog it only if I have something meaningful and useful to add. Keep in mind that I live 115 miles from New Orleans. It may be the best place in Louisiana by a long shot, but it isn't my local beat.

--I do not censor for profanity, opposing ideas, evasion of topic or for virtually any other reason. If you want to sound stupid, then that's your prerogative; your name is on it! Comments are deleted only for the following reasons: 1) Double-posting; 2) Spamming (unless the spamming in question is really entertaining); 3) If I post a comment anonymously by accident, in which case I will repost the same comment under my name; 4) Any other accidents on my part; 5) Posts that have no value in discussion (such as with one guy who continuously posted the same Bush quote about 50 times as a comment, then posted it three times). Everything else goes.

--I never ban anyone from my site. Part of the reason I started this blog is because I found myself disgusted by some of the rules set forth by Democratic Underground. As much as I enjoy the site, and as much as I understand their desire to keep useless traffic to a minimum, I object to several of their rules regarding content of posts. I see some merit in the common conservative complaint that DU bans anyone who shows conservative tendencies. This sounds too much like the ideology behind many conservative blogs, a fact I find discomforting no matter who is enforcing them. I welcome all viewpoints, not because I agree with them but because that's how life is. Like I said before, if people want to look stupid then that's their business. I know better than to believe I live in a world where everyone agrees with me. In fact, I find it entertaining to see some conservatives realize that for the first time. In any case, the main objective here is to open up dialogue, not suppress it. I also reserve the right, as I have done in the past, to de-link anyone who erases dissenting comments or otherwise does not allow for the free flow of information.

--If you respond with an allegation and/or a link, rest assured that I will check it out. Until I got this blog moving, I never realized just how bold some people are in presenting bald-faced lies as facts. Whether or not that's intentional on the poster's part, I will check it out myself; with my journalistic skills and graduate-research studies, I know how to verify things. I've done this many times and have been proven right and proven wrong at different points. My credo is this: the beliefs that people refuse to question are the very ones that need to be questioned the most. Because of this, I allow for open discussion from all sides. I'm not saying I'll agree or disagree with it, or that anyone else will either; but it never hurts to get the words out there.

Now buckle up, and please hold on to the bar.

11 comments:

The Manning Report said...

i wasnt aware that you can ban people from posting on your blog

Ian McGibboney said...

I don't think you can, Manning. But people like those at antiprotester threaten it all the time. I have a lot of fun with that.

MPH said...

In theory you can ban people from your blog, but in reality you just end up getting picked on by the banee. It is rather pointless, though it does allow me to return to the blog I was allegedly banned from and call the person an ass hat.

Ian McGibboney said...

It's like when I was a teenager and tried to ban my baby sister from my room. What I was forgetting was that my room had no door.

Mustang Bobby said...

Good rules. I think I abide by most of them on my own blog, but I never wrote them down. I may borrow yours.

Ian McGibboney said...

Make sure you bring them back, okay?

Michael said...

Jeebus, Ian, what are you? Some kind of damn librul? Don't you know we all have to line up behind our Maximum Leader and goose-step in time? We can't have any dissent, or the terrrists will win.

But seriously, good post.

BigMieux said...

Ian, good post. Here goes, I may get flamed for this post. Oh well. I find your blog to be more interesting than aldaynet.org because you seem to be more open minded. Open minded is good. Dogma is bad. Simple, eh? Here's the problem. Republicans have strayed from the fiscal conservatism that initially had attracted me to their ideology. They have allowed themselves to become the Christian Right and are riding high on the strengths of the "Revenge Republicans" most of whom cannot even pronounce "fiscal policy" let alone have an intelligent discussion about it. The Democrats, while closer to my own views on social matters, are almost diametrically opposed to my own views of personal responsibility. I cannot stomach either party and fear that myself, and many millions more like me will have a long, long wait before we see any effective sort of politics in America.

BLUEVETTER said...

INTERESTING, PERHAPS WE WILL HERE MORE ABOUT THE ANTI-WAR PROTESTS AND SUCH. SINCE THE REPUBLICATS AND THE DEMOCRANS ARE SO CLOSE IN BED WITH EACH OTHER MAYBE WE SHOULD ELECT MORE INDEPENDENTS. (AND I DONT MEEN RALPH NADER)

PPM said...

I am gald that I encountered your blog. Loved reading your articles. Will it be ok if I put a link of your blog on my blog?

Nice posts

Speechie said...

I should have rules like that on my blog. Instead I just say whatever I want about whoever I want whenever I want without warning anyone. And you're right about one thing...you can't be right about anything because where would that leave me??? I'm right about EVERYTHING. LOL. Oh am I glad I found you by accident...so Hinson did one thing right: he pissed us both off and now...I have met my match.