Friday, March 18, 2005

Noshing with online pals

Yesterday afternoon, I had lunch with Flamingo Jones. She's not the first person I've met personally through blogging (that honor goes jointly to Murph and his mom jetbanana), but she probably represents the single most surreal first encounter I've ever had. Imagine a blind date where you've seen the picture and already know the person through extensive conversation, if such a thing can be imagined. Or picture seeing a toy on TV for years and then finally having it in your hand. Anyway, Flamingo was spending the week with sociable_solipsist in Baton Rouge and decided to brave the short 50-mile jaunt to see me for an afternoon. At least that's what she tells me...

We met at a coffeehouse near my place and then went to lunch. She rode in my truck! Cool! (I'm like Wayne when Aerosmith played on that episode of Wayne's World, except that Aerosmith is famous.) Both of us being laid-back and indecisive liberals, selecting a place to eat was really a pain in the ass. But we did (eventually) and we had a pretty good time, once I figured out her Wisconsin accent. It took a while, but I finally figured out what she meant by such Midwest colloquialisms as "drinking pop" and "Louisiana air stinks."

For her part, she said I struck her as the kind of guy who would drive a black Honda Civic coupe. Except that I'm too much of a rebel to drive a car of such a common color. I said she struck me as the kind of girl who would drive a neon-green new Beetle (which, of course, she does, a fact that really helped me on guessing that one).

Flamingo raved about our daytime rendezvous, calling her time with me "better than sitting around bored in my friend's apartment all day." High praise from a true individual!

While I certainly need no help from Blogger in making new friends, I think that it can only help like-minded individuals meet. Whether the objective is love or radical political revolution (or something in that wide gulf in between), getting to know someone through a blog--psychotics aside--can be a cool thing indeed.

9 comments:

Flamingo Jones said...

Oh god. Did I really say "drinking pop"? I try very hard to avoid that one when I'm away from home, as I'm usually mocked mercilessly. I can't believe I slipped up. Sorry.

Zachary said...

In Pittsburgh and its surrounding counties, that's quite commonplace. But as soon as I went to college in the middle of the state, I was taunted for those two letters, one of which is repeated. I finally had to steal a menu from a restaurant in the city to take back with me and prove to everyone that it is, indeed, okay to say pop.

oyster said...

Ian, lemme know next time you come over to N.O. and have some free time. I'm looking forward to meeting you in person, though our "noshing" will (probably) involve more revolution-planning than love-connecting.

Anyway, we can still have a drink and make fun of Chimpy.

Flamingo Jones said...

It's "pop" on our menus too. People look at you funny if you order "soda." In my world, "soda" refers to baking soda. Which is a pretty sucky lunchtime beverage.

The Manning Report said...

where did you end up going eat? taco bell?

Ian McGibboney said...

I just told you that to throw off you and the other paparazzi. By the way, how ironic is it that out of phizz, Manning and Flamingo, the only one I've ever met ISN'T a resident of my city?

PS Flamingo--you didn't actually say "drinking pop." At least not directly. But I know you were thinking it!

Flamingo Jones said...

You're right. I totally was.

PusBoy said...

"While I certainly need no help from Blogger in making new friends . . . ."Braggart.

Phillip said...

how about everybody kiss my furry ass.