Thursday, January 27, 2005

Life at the Looniversity

Last night I discovered, to my horror, that I had missed what was apparently an important deadline in order to graduate. An obscure section buried in The Vermilion brought it to my attention...a week too late. Basically, the things I needed broke down into this:

1) Degree application--Huh? Didn't I fill this out when I applied for school here? Or has my identity completely changed?

2) List of classes--I presume this is so the university knows which classes I've taken. I couldn't remember them all, so I went downstairs in the same building to get my transcript. Yes, this was every bit as absurd as it sounds.

3) $45 "Diploma Fee"--Just when you think colleges couldn't wring any more fees out of your long-dehydrated carcass, they come up with a "diploma fee." Too stupid to explain. Even the girl at the payment window said it was a dumb thing to have to pay.

I've often wondered why some people, such as celebrities, dropped out of school right at the finish line. Now I think I see why!

9 comments:

The Manning Report said...

If I was graduating I would sure know the stuff I had to do, I mean, you are graduating, finishing with school, I would make sure I had everything done.

Joe said...

As a condition of my graduation, I had to free the freshman girls I had locked in the basement. Man, that sucked.

Ian McGibboney said...

Manning, no argument there (smugness aside). I take responsibility for not knowing about the deadline. But what I'm saying here is that the whole setup is dumb, you know?

Joe, I really have to release my freshman hottie harem? That's just one more thing they forgot to tell me...

The Manning Report said...

so are they going to let you graduate

Ian McGibboney said...

I'm sure they want me out of there as fast as possible. I'm lowering real-estate values.

Atruk said...

To start classes this year I had to pay a fifty dollar New Student Orientation fee. To graduate it will be $100.

BTW, that comment on Aldaynet was a shot at the site's credibility. All of them popped up after I took their "urgent poll" and answered I voted for Kerry. Maybe KErry voters are more likely to buy Ronald Regean hats, Anne Coulter books, and NRA memberships.

jetbanana said...

I see that nothing has changed at UL since I was there ages ago.

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

You got off light. We had to pay an alumni association fee, a diploma printing fee and an outragious price per ticket for more than 2 tickets to graduation. And we had to slip the dean a fin as we shook his hand onstage if we wanted him to smile for the picture. Little did he know a joy buzzer would get the same result.

PusBoy said...

Same thing happened to me. I did the graduation class check, and was told that I had taken "too many" classes within my major, and not enough outside electives. Problem was, the student handbook at my school made no mention that "electives" taken had to be outside one's major. I ended up, in my last semester, having to drop a required class, file a request for a waiver of that class with a faculty academics review board, and take "sports psychology."

Still, I did better than several of my friends who failed to do grad checks our senior year and got a note instead of their degree when they went up on stage at graduation.