Wednesday, September 22, 2004

The Good (Text) Book

While doing some homework this afternoon, I noticed a lot of scribblings in my rhetoric textbook. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that someone had blacked out all of the Es in "BCE." For the uninitiated, "BCE" stands for "Before Common Era," a secularization of "BC." Historians apparently noted that "BC" and "AD" (itself replaced by "CE") are a little too Christian for a world calendar, so they substituted them. And as is the usual practice in Louisiana, the evangelical Jesus freaks defaced my textbook just to show the world that...um...they like to mark things. Just like the beast!


Thus sayeth the Lord: "She who writeth in ye margin shall ascend to heaven" (Scribbler 10:16) Posted by Hello

Click the above pic to enlarge it. It looks like that kind of perfect handwriting you see in ads that are made to look like they have handwriting on them. What you see is what I saw, and has not been altered in any way. I don't know who scribbled out the portion on the left-hand page, but I make it out to say, "When the world DIDN'T EXIST!" referring to the line "Around the tenth century B.C.E."

Even better, on page 43, this brave crusader crossed out "damning" in a sentence. Then she wrote "lindseybizilia @ hotmail" on the margin next to it. I take no responsibility for any hijinks that occur from that disclosure...I'll just say, to each their own, even if it makes my textbook hard to read.

Whatever happened to faith being a personal thing?

6 comments:

Michael J Gallimore said...

I love this post! Didn't the author of your marginalia know that A.D. stands for Anno Domini, Latin for "In the Year of Our Lord"? What kind of bible wackers do you have down there, anyway?

Michael said...

I was about to make the same comment, Michael. (Nice to meet'ya ;-9)

But then again, the sort of person that would make that big a deal about "BCE" in a textbook probably wouldn't know Latin if it came up and bit her on the nose.

This is one of the things I miss out on by not buying used books much. On the other hand, I'm not sure that's a bad thing. (But I'm an inveterate margin-scribbler myself: people can have lots of fun with my books after I'm gone.)

Flamingo Jones said...

Just to add some contrast, when I was in Sociology 100, our professor had all of us go through our slightly-outdated text-books and write in the 'E's.

You know, you'd think that if god were really speaking to all of these self-righteous ninnies, once in a while he'd tell them to get their shit straight.

Shannon said...

AD stands for "after Jesus' death?" Wow! I had no idea Christ only lived for a year. Less, actually. He lived for the brief moment BETWEEN 1 BC and 1 AD.

Actually, the whole "Common Era" thing has always struck me as kind of pointless. We still count our years from the supposed year of Christ's birth, so all we've done is change the words we use...

Kyle said...

Doesn't BC stand for "Before Clinton"

Ex. The Marines took it to the Republican Guard in the year 1 B.C.

Michael J Gallimore said...

Flamingo et al.:
To read what God really says when he talks to people see The Book of Norman post at The American Journal. The URL is http://theamericanjournal.blogspot.com/2004/07/book-of-norman.html